Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

How has being a first responder affected your worldview?

Go down

How has being a first responder affected your worldview? Empty How has being a first responder affected your worldview?

Post  pmedicchris Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:49 pm

I am convinced that ‘worldview conflict’ is fundamentally at the core of why our community is experiencing fallout in the form of divorce, addictions, suicide and burnout at such an alarming rate. First Responders live in a world vastly different than most of society, which means they develop a view of the world that is unique to their perspective. Unfortunately, most First Responders experience great difficulty balancing what they believe in the framework of their faith, with what they experience in the field. This is why for me, The Truth Project is such an essential resource for Responder Life, as a tool that will bring clarity to the ultimate reality of God and his workings in the context of the often tragic and confusing world of emergency services.

What impact has your work as a First Responder had on your faith and how you view the world?

pmedicchris

Back to top Go down

How has being a first responder affected your worldview? Empty Re: How has being a first responder affected your worldview?

Post  pmedicchris Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:49 pm

Funny, my Church at North Coast in Fallbrook is doing the Week End of Service project this week end and the question was asked in my growth group "Would you still do all these things for someone if the person you were doing it for didn't care, was hostile toward you for doing it or said they could have done it better"? My answer was honest; I said no I would not do it again. My job as a 911 paramedic has changed my view of the world and the people who "need help". We have the opportunity in life to partner with Jesus and help those who need and ask for help. When someone calls 911 on behalf of a person who did not request help just because the caller wants to feel like they did something to help then that caller obligates me to deal with a person who does not want me there, didn't ask me to be there and because of legal and liability issues I have to treat and transport. Frustration, irritation and anger are the feelings that usually accompany such a call. Then there is the question of my faith. Shouldn't I help people? Wouldn't Jesus help people?

matbergin

pmedicchris

Back to top Go down

How has being a first responder affected your worldview? Empty Re: How has being a first responder affected your worldview?

Post  pmedicchris Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Hello
This is a question more for Clark I would guess. What will the difference be in the current Truth Project dvd series to the one that is currently being produced for first responders? I have a copy of the first Truth Project and have seen it three times and lead one small group through it. It is very life changing.

ggilstrap

pmedicchris

Back to top Go down

Post  pmedicchris Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:51 pm

Hi Gary,

What we have done with Focus on the Family is rewrite all the "wrappers" for each lesson. Meaning, Dr. Del recorded new Prescripts & Postscripts that tie each lesson into the First Responder context. The lessons themselves will remain the same. As far as Responder Life is concerned, if you have an original version you should continue to use it and formulate the discussions around First Responder themes. The new version is a wonderful gift that Focus on the Family has given to us and the responder community. We will be using a similar model for facilitator training, by hosting Responder Life conferences all over the country where participants can be trained and walk out with the new Truth Project in hand.

pmedicchris

Back to top Go down

Post  pmedicchris Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:52 pm

Before I became a Firefighter/Paramedic, I was pretty strong in my faith and thought I had alot of life experience. It wasn't long after being a First Responder that I began to see things in a completely different light. On this job, you see alot... all walks of life, every age, many different belief systems, extremes of mental health, the disabled, addicts, domestic disputes, suicides, thieves, murders, liers, life and death. You are faced with the challenges of learning the job, proving yourself, fitting in among your coworkers, and adjusting to the new schedule and lifestyle all while finding ways to cope with the physical, psychological, and emotional stress. Your life is at risk every time you pull out of the station and at times you can experience close calls to serious injury or death.

The extreme visual images combined with the challenges of dealing with such a vast diversity of people and personalities, both on a call and among coworkers, can begin to shape you and change you if you don't have a compass to help guide you through it. Without that compass, when the extreme calls come and your coworkers challenge you, you may find it difficult to explain what you believe and why you believe it or you may even begin to question your own beliefs.

midlothianfire47

pmedicchris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum