Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Ticketing first responders and family

Go down

Ticketing first responders and family Empty Ticketing first responders and family

Post  pmedicchris Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:43 pm

I wasn't really sure where to post this but I think it relates to worldview. What do you think about ticketing first responders and their families versus giving them a free pass? For me it is a bit of a moral dilemma. I believe I should uphold the law equally for all people. I should issue whatever it takes to gain compliance, whether that be a warning or a citation. I can justify not writing those with advanced driving training speeding tickets because they are not endangering others the same as someone without specialized training who is speeding. Other violations though I can't justify not writing them. Our culture, however, says that I shouldn't take enforcement action against fellow first responders and their families unless they are doing something egregious. It says that we need to get along with eachother and that in the future I may be relying on the other guy to save my life so I better not make him mad. To me, that just sounds like an excuse. What do you think?

echoshrimp

pmedicchris

Back to top Go down

Ticketing first responders and family Empty Re: Ticketing first responders and family

Post  pmedicchris Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:44 pm

For me, writing citations has always been decided by two factors:

1. Is the offense so dangerous that it truly effects the safety of the motoring public?

2. Will a citation correct the behavior of the offender or cause them to change their behavior in the future?

I feel that if both of these criteria are met, that a citation could be issued and justified to whatever critisism it creates. However, I think that if you issue a written or verbal warning to the driver (Son, daughter, wife of a fellow officer or first responder), then you should have a sit down and explain to the violation to that related first responder. This could actually become more effective than a citation because the officer's anger/embarrasment will not be directed at you, but instead be directed at the violator. This can still result in correcting the behavior or violation while not adding extra tension to the relationships of your fellow first responders, and I have almost always had success when handling things in this manner.

I hope this helped!

charris

pmedicchris

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum